Slightly more than last time on offer (34p)
British animation in which retired couple Jim and Hilda Bloggs (voices of Sir John Mills and Dame Peggy Ashcroft) follow the post-Holocaust regulation brochure to its minutest detail, oblivious to the fact that their hair is falling out and dust is raining on them constantly.
Added by @cyberbabenilorac
Jim and Hilda Bloggs (Sir John Mills and Dame Peggy Ashcroft) are a middle-aged couple, who believe that the British government is in control as they prepare for Nuclear War. When the countdown begins they roll up their shirtsleeves and follow government guidelines that were actually distributed to households around Britain in the 1970s. They paint their windows white, build a fortress of doors and pillows, take the washing in and put away two packets of ginger nuts, one tin of pineapple chunks and a good supply of tea.
This cautionary tale is both humorous and macabre in its consideration of one of the most horrific possibilities of modern life. When the Wind Blows
is a story about love, tenderness, humanity and hope. Adapted by Raymond Briggs (The Snowman
) from his best-selling book, When the Wind Blows
features an original soundtrack by Roger Waters, and title song by David Bowie.
- Presented in High Definition and Standard Definition
- Audio commentary with first assistant editor Joe Fordham and film historian Nick Redman
- Jimmy Murakami: Non Alien (2010, 77 mins): feature-length documentary about the film's director
- Interview with Raymond Briggs (2005, 14 mins): writer Raymond Briggs discusses When the Wind Blows and other works
- The Wind and the Bomb (1986, 25 mins): the making-of When the Wind Blows featuring interviews with producer John Coates, director Jimmy T Murakami and writer Raymond Briggs
- Protect and Survive (1975, 50 mins): public information film about how to survive in the event of a nuclear attack
- Isolated music and effects track
- Illustrated booklet with new introduction by Raymond Briggs, an essay by executive producer Iain Harvey, writing by Jez Stewart, Claire Kitson and Bella Todd, and full film credits
UK | 1986 | colour | 84 minutes |English language, with optional hard-of-hearing subtitles | original aspect ratio 1.37:1 | 1 x BD50: 1080p, PCM 2.0 stereo audio (48kHz/24-bit), Region B | 1 x DVD9: PAL, 25fps, Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo audio (320kbps), Region 2 | Cert PG
Help & Information